Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My First Record

When I was a kid, my family listened to country music.  I think you learn to love what you grew up with, and to this day old country music is my favorite kind of music. I am particularly fond of country music from the sixties and seventies. I remember listening to country music on Griffin, Georgia's WGRI AM 1410. I even remember the station jingle. "1410 - Sunshine Country - W - G - R - I"


My first record that I owned was a 45, and I first heard it on WGRI.  Back in the seventies, CB and trucker songs were very popular. Songs like "East Bound and Down," "White Line Fever," and "Convoy" were chart toppers in those days, and you may have heard of them.  I am pretty sure that you have not heard the one I liked when I was in the first grade. The name of the song was "Hey Shirley, (this is Squirrely)," and I found it on youtube.


Sadly, my record was broken in the second grade. My teacher asked us to bring records to school to listen and dance to. I remember one of the girls, in my class saying "I don't know how to dance to that song." I also remember my friend Tim Pritchard bringing the classic "Shaving Cream" song made popular by Dr. Demento. There is a little innuendo in this song and I am kind of surprised that it made it to the record player in class. Although we didn't know why (well, I didn't), we still thought it was funny.  I'm pretty sure it was Tim who accidentally chipped my record. I was so disappointed, but hey, now I can listen to it all I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All images and text copyright © 2010,2011 Scott Humphries